6.09.2013

5 Summer Essentials


Summer is here, along with the heat, the dry skin, the sunburn…ahhhh!!! But it doesn’t have to be all crisp and no fun. There are my five beauty essentials I have to help get you through this sweltering season looking naturally beautiful.
I’m a very simple and clean beauty kind of person, especially in the summer because I don’t like all those extra layers clogging my pores and making me sweat even more. All of this stuff is very lightweight and is meant to protect from the damages that come with summertime.

1.     Light, oil-free face lotion with SPF something. It’s a good idea to have a face lotion with sunscreen in it all year long, but especially in the summertime when you are bombarded by the sun. An oil-free moisturizer will prevent oily and clogged up skin, and brands like Neutrogena are good on those with sensitive skin like me.
2.     Essential Oils. Essential oils can me used for so many purposes. If you want a light body spray mix it with some water and spray away. Need to relax? Add some to your bath and enjoy. Essential oils are a base to so many good things you can make, or if you don’t feel like showering right away dab a little or spray some all over and smell fresh and clean without the musk of perfume.
3.     Natural/organic sunscreen. I know this is a no brainer, but really I cannot stress enough the importance of sunscreen. I know it’s the tanning era, but it’s not all glitz and glam when you’re covered in wrinkles or getting skin cancer (I don’t mean to sound rude but it’s true.) So put on sunscreen! You really don’t need higher than about 30 and as always opt for the natural ingredients that are better for sensitive skin and won’t clog your pores.
4.     Coconut oil? Yes, coconut oil. Our skin and hair goes through some nastiness during summer and can end up really dried out and malnourished. You can use coconut oil on your skin as an intense moisturizer mixed with some essential oil. Coconut oil can also be used as a hair mask for dry and damaged hair. In addition, coconut oil is a delicious and healthy substitute for cooking or can be used as salad dressing, and we all know that we are what we eat. Actually, beauty all starts with eating healthy. Remember that this summer when you reach for the junk food and sodas.
5.     Witch Hazel. Now if you’re around my age you may be wondering: what is this stuff? I didn’t know until about three weeks ago, so you’re not alone. Witch hazel is an old Native American plant that is, like many things on this list, multi-purposed. If you are like me and receive scrapes and bruises over the course of the summer, it’s a great natural cleanser for wounds and also soothes burns if you get sunburned. It also can be used as an astringent for the face to clean up dirt and oil at the end of a long summer day.

So there you are. The most important thing about summer, besides taking care of yourself, is of course to have fun. Look up beauty products, and recipes using these on your own and have a healthy beautiful summer!
Much love, Sarah Jasmine 

1 comment:

  1. Sarah, as usual this is lovely. I was telling my niece Margaret about your blog and that I thought she'd like it. I just sent her the link. She's also interested in French.

    ReplyDelete