8.18.2012

Daily Outfits: Handmade & Polka Dots


I love sewing. My grandma taught me how to sew when I was about eleven and I've loved making various crafts, hair accessories, aprons, and pillows over the years (I even made my last halloween costume). But I'd never made any real "clothes" clothes. I've drooled over the idea for a while too with an entire sketchbook filled with clothing designs. Still I'd never really made anything besides a tank top. A few weeks ago my best friend Pamela came over with this shorts pattern she got from her grandmother and a pair she made. I loved them! These shorts are the result. They aren't perfect but I (with the great help of Pamela) made them. Let me tell you it wasn't easy. My sewing machine gave out. We forgot steps and had to redo things. It was also my first experience darting (which is NOT fun). Still, I'm pretty proud of them. I can't say I have the desire to make clothes for a living, but it would be great to bring some of my designs to life! 
Moral of the story: Grandmothers are awesome because they can teach you how to sew. Two: it's great to have a best friend who shares your interests. Three: try something you've been wanting to do for a while. 
Also, making these shorts really makes me appreciate the craftsmanship that goes into handmade items. And me and Pamela agree that we want to become experts so when we have little granddaughters of our own we can pass on the trade. 
xoxo sarah jasmine. 

outfit details: shirt//shop sosie, shorts//handmade, headband//handmade, sandals//modcloth

No comments:

Post a Comment