7.05.2012

Workshop Wednesday: Fourth of July Edition (on Thursday)

*workshop wednesdays are where I discuss my passion of written art via sharing poetry, my writing, or by discussing writing techniques and providing prompts for you to take on and enjoy on your own*

I know this is a day late. It aggravates me so very much, but with my current internet situation it's hard for me to post things whenever I want. Oh well, I'm doing my best. 
Despite the fact that this post will be late I wanted to share this poem with you guys for the fourth of July because one: it's great, and two: I haven't done a workshop wednesday in absolutely forever. So here we go, enjoy... 

I HEAR AMERICA SINGING BY WALT WHITMAN 
I hear America singing, the varied carols I hear, 
Those of mechanics, each one singing his as it should be blithe and strong.
The carpenter singing his as he measures his plank or beam, 
The mason singing as he makes ready for work, or leaves off work, or leaves off work,
The boatman singing what belongs to him in his boat, the deck-hand
singing on the steamboat deck,
The shoemaker singing as he sits on his bench, the hatter singing as he stands, 
The wood-cutter's song, the ploughboy's on his way in the morning, 
or at noon intermission or at sundown, 
The delicious singing of the mother, or of the young wife at work, 
or of the girl sewing or washing, 
Each singing what belongs to the day-at night the party of young fellows, 
robust, friendly, 
Singing with open mouths their strong melodious song. 




So I really love this poem. To me it makes me absolutely proud to be American. To be in a country of so many different individuals. To have the freedom to think what we like and sing our own strong melodious songs and no matter how different in tune they may be we all still come together as Americans. That is a beautiful and astounding thing, don't you think? This is a beautiful country and despite ups and downs I try to always remember how lucky I am to live in it. 
I hope you had a great independence day.
much love, sarah jasmine.

No comments:

Post a Comment