6.19.2012

Inspiring Pages

Life without the internet has been....interesting. I'm so used to being able to pick up my laptop and google a recipe, or a famous person, or some random word. It's hard without it. I've also realized that I spend a lot of time gathering inspiration from Pinterest and all my favorite blogs, in other words my inspiration has been very limited to the same images that is inspiring the rest of the globe, and after a good hour or two of pinning and staring at the computer my brain feels like mush more often than it feels inspired. So, I decided to grab a few books that have been neglected over the years and flip through the pages. I was immediately inspired! Some of my old childrens books and this biography of Audrey Hepburn proved more rewarding than I thought. Here are some of the pages below:
The three children's books I picked out were filled with dreamy illustrations and words that still proved powerfully relevant to me even as a 17 years old. The Audrey Hepburn book featured gorgeous images of the icon, her life, and her attire. From these books I have so many ideas floating around for paintings, a journal, and outfits. It was such a shift from gathering inspiration on the computer. When my internet comes back I will be sure to make sure I back off from the computer some days and go to a bookstore or flip through old magazines for inspiration instead. Or even just take a walk. I'm remembering that inspiration comes from everywhere not just the internet. It's wonderful and it doesn't leave my brain with that mushy feeling. 
Try it out! Grab some old illustrated books from your shelf and search. I'm sure you will be as surprised as I was about all the beauty that lies inside some forgotten pages. 
xoxo. Sarah Jasmine. 
(books: My Many Colored Days by Dr. Suess, D'Aulaires' Book of Greek Myths, Amy Byran's ABC of African American Poetry, Audrey a Life in Pictures) 

No comments:

Post a Comment